This week’s MYX News Hot List, new episodes weekly at www.myx.global/myxnews.
1. MYX MUSIC: BINI, SB19, JONATHAN MANALO JOIN FORCES – P-pop groups BINI and SB19 team up for a new version of PBB Teens’ “Kabataang Pinoy” produced by Jonathan Manalo.
2. MYX MUSIC: JAYDA RELEASES “TOXIC” VIDEO – Jayda released a colorful music video for her all-tagalog song, “Toxic“. This new song is also co-composed by her dad, the original prince of pop, Dingdong Avanzado.
3. MYX ENTERTAINMENT: FRANCINE DIAZ STARS IN BOLA-BOLA – Francine Diaz is gearing up to star in her first solo lead series, “Bola-bola“. Catch it this March 26 exclusively on iWantTFC!
4. MYX LIFESTYLE: LOUIS DE GUZMAN LAUNCHES ANOTHER NEW BALANCE SHOE – Visual artist Louis De Guzman is back with a new sneaker launch paying tribute to his mom.
5. MYX LIFESTYLE: HAIL TO THE CHEF! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CHEF VAL! – Hollywood came in their disco outfits to celebrate the birthday of Yamashiro’s Executive Chef, Vallerie Castillo Archer. Among those spreading their well-wishes were James Reid, Ylona Garcia, Jay R, Mica Javier, Arci Munoz, Alex Wassabi, and Apl.de.Ap of the Black Eyed Peas.
We all love a good pair of shoes and know they have to be on point because sneakers can either make or break an outfit. With that, Fil-Am and Chicago based visual artist, Louis De Guzman teams up with footwear company, New Balance for another version of the 574 sneaker. His first reimagined 574 design, which released in September 2020 was in support of a “charitable Collaboraid initiative in effort to aid in the recovery from COVID-19 through sneaker culture.” Now, Louis is back for another round and is paying tribute to his Filipina mother calling this 574 colorway ‘Ma Divina.’
According to Louis, the New Balance 574 LDG Ma Divina is a “case study of applying the inspiration [his mother] to a classic and reimagined silhouette.” His mother participated in local craft shows and applied her creativity to floral arrangements and DIY trinkets. Louis attributes his attention to detail and design to his mother as her own traits allowed him to broaden his perspective.
The colorway pallet according to the blog, Sole Collector consists of purple and blue suede overlay panels with a bright orange ‘N’ branding on the sides. Louis also adds artwork like graphics which are printed on the insoles.
The sneakers are set to release this week after the pair was released exclusively in Chicago over the weekend. Others will soon be able to cop these as it’ll hit racks at Footlocker.com and ChampsSports.com and at selected stores Thursday, March 24 for $85.
Check out the behind the scenes to the pop-up installation debuting the 574 LDG Ma Divina in Chicago at the South Gate Footlocker location.
Cover Photo Credit: Louis De Guzman Instagram
Chicago-based Filipino American visual artist and designer Louis De Guzman is gearing up for “Atom vs. Astro,” his latest exhibition taking place in Los Angeles. The solo exhibition is in conjunction with Japan’s Tezuka Productions and Los Angeles’ BAIT. The show is set to open on November 11th at the BAIT gallery.
De Guzman has had multiple collaborations throughout the years, with one of his latest being his second round 574 collab with New Balance a few months back. During the release of his New Balance collaboration, he shared a video on his Instagram that helped pay homage to the foundation that helped him grow throughout his journey, which included a glimpse of his parents.
If you are in Los Angeles you can RSVP for the “Atom vs. Astro” exhibition here.
About Louis De Guzman:
Louis De Guzman is a Chicago-based visual artist and designer who creates artwork that merges his past with his present. Over the last decade, De Guzman has proved himself as a true multidisciplinary artist by blending both traditional and experimental techniques in his work.
His signature geometric abstraction style often blends together images and stories that represent his family’s immigrant journey, as well as his own experience as a second-generation Filipino American. De Guzman’s career has led him to create well-received original bodies of work as well as interpretations of licensed intellectual property.