60% of the world is Asian, making Asians the lion’s share of the globe, but they are still a small minority in the music industry. With this initiative and all else they do at LIONS SHARE, their goal is to change that! In May, Asian creative community and podcast LIONS SHARE and Warner Music Group’s Asian employee resource group APIECE are doing something extra special to highlight unsigned Asian artists on rise!
They've partnered up with Topsify, WMG’s playlist brand and streaming label with over 3M followers, to place Asian artists on some of their most popular playlists and co-curate a special new one just for our community.
All submissions will be reviewed and 60 songs will be handpicked for playlisting by their team of A&Rs including Sweater Beats (acclaimed Filipino American artist and GRAMMY Award winning producer), David Stouck (VP of A&R for WMG Asia), and Allyson Toy (DJ and LIONS SHARE co-founder). The playlists will be open to the public and circulated to Warner’s global A&R teams and on the hunt for new talent!
Don’t wait to get your music heard! Submissions close on Sunday, April 25th, so follow LIONS SHARE on Instagram and fill out the form HERE to share and amplify your music.
-At least 1+ principal artist, feature artist, producer, or songwriter of full or partial Asian or Pacific Islander descent
-Song must already be on @spotify and released independently
- What songs are eligible to be submitted?
- Songs must be independently released, available on Spotify, and must include at least one principal artist, feature, producer, or songwriter of full or partial Asian descent.
- How many songs can I submit?
- Please only submit one song per artist. Artists who do not respect our community’s rules by making multiple submissions will be automatically disqualified.
- When do I need to submit?
- Submissions close on Sunday, April 25th at 9:00pm PST / 12:00am EST. We will be reviewing submissions as we receive them, so don’t wait!
- If my song is selected, how will I know?
- Someone from the LIONS SHARE team will reach out to you via email with the good news and more info on how you can spread the word!
- When will the playlists go live?
- The APIHM playlist will go live the first week of May and will remain up until May 31st. Songs added to Topsify’s existing playlists will be cycled in and out on a weekly basis.
- What will you do with the personal information I provide?
- By providing your email, you are consenting to be contacted by LIONS SHARE or APIECE if you are selected by our A&R team and for future opportunities. Your information will never be sold, shared, or used for any other purpose.
- Why are you asking for my ethnic background?
- We want to ensure that the music we amplify represents the diversity of the Asian community. For example, if we find we’re lacking submissions from the South Asian community, we may put more resources behind amplifying this opportunity through organizations and partners that speak directly to it.
- What is APIECE?
- APIECE is Warner Music Group’s API employee resource group. APIECE’s mission is to create a safe space for WMG API employees to connect with each other while utilizing our platform to amplify our community needs.
- What is LIONS SHARE?
- LIONS SHARE is a creative community, music podcast, and agency dedicated to uplifting Asian and Asian diaspora creatives. 60% of the global population is Asian, making us the lion’s share of the world, but we’re still a small minority on entertainment’s global stage. LIONS SHARE’s mission is to change that. We’ve worked with creatives ranging from Eugene Lee Yang, Lisa Ling, MC Jin, Yuna, mxmtoon, MIYAVI, and NFL quarterback Kyler Murray to clients including A24, HBO, Mixcloud, and more. Shoot us a follow on Instagram and join our community on Discord!
- What is Topsify?
- Topsify is WMG's global playlist brand with hundreds of playlists, millions of listeners, and over 3 million followers across Spotify, Apple, and other streaming services!
- Who are these A&Rs?
- Allyson Toy is a music, tech and culture media professional with 11+ years of US and Asia-based experience. Toy is a co-founder of LIONS SHARE, a creative community, agency, and podcast dedicated to uplifting Asians in the arts. Toy is also the Sr. Manager of Music Community for Twitch’s growing music department, and her past work spans culture marketing, talent relations, partnerships, East-West music crossover strategy, original content creation and event production for The FADER, Red Bull, 88rising, CAA, WME and more. Toy is also the leader of Twitch's Asian ERG and is passionate about building community, diversity and inclusion, exploring emerging markets, and storytelling.
- David Stouck is the regional director, A&R, at Warner Music Asia. His brief covers A&R operations in China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan and Thailand.
- Sweater Beats is the R&B-infused dance project of Antonio Cuna, a Brooklyn-based EDM musician. He released his debut single, "MLLN DLLR" ("Million Dollar"), in 2012. A largely sample-based effort, he invited vocalists Erin Marshall and Sunni Colón to appear on tracks for the more self-constructed That Feel EP, released by Symbols Recordings in 2013. He followed it with the Cloud City EP via LA imprint Huh What & Where in 2014, and performed shows across the world including two North America tours with Chance the Rapper and Chet Faker. All the while producing remixes of artists like Kimbra and tourmates Flume and Chet Faker, he then released a series of original singles showcasing future bass stylings and pop songwriting, including 2016's "Did You Wrong" featuring MAX and 2017's "Altar" featuring R.LUM.R. The single "Faded Away," featuring Icona Pop, appeared in April 2018. Cuna has garnered features in Billboard and Entertainment Weekly, and multiple performances on BBC Radio 1 and Boiler Room.
Submit your music HERE now on the LIONS SHARE website for consideration!
Spread the word. Share this blog post: